Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Greek Pita

There's nothing like taking full advantage of the summer months and packing in as many fresh fruits and vegetables as possible. Let's be honest, I have my fair share of pizza and milkshakes throughout the summer months as well, but every time I make an extra effort to have a meal chock full of veggies, I feel that I deserve a pat on the back.

These Greek Pita's came together in no time and the meal was so refreshing. I'm a huge believer that you eat with your eyes first and that it should always look as good as it tastes- this recipe is a looker. I made a huge batch of this essentially using up all of the veggies in my refrigerator. Next time I think I would slather the inside of that pita with tzatziki sauce. Regardless, this was great to have on hand for a quick lunch or midday snack. Especially when those midday snacks have regularly been consisting of frozen concretes from Shake Shack.
........................................................................
Greek Pita

Yield: 4-6 servings

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 cup cucumber, diced
1/4 cup radishes, chopped
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
4-6 whole wheat pitas

In a large bowl, whisk vinegar into olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion, cucumber, radishes, and Italian parsley. Lastly stir in feta cheese and season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.

p.s. I made my own pita bread! Are you impressed? It was much easier than I had anticipated.


3 comments:

jenniferhoiyin said...

these look fantastic! I may just make them for dinner, with a slather of hummus or tomato pesto. isn't summer the best?

erin said...

We just made these for dinner--home run Kelsey. Matt and I loved them. I totally agree with the tzatziki suggestion, but then again I would eat tzatziki with a spoon as meal itself if left to my own devices. Which reminds me--do you have any idea where to find fage, the real greek yogurt, here in the NOC??? I'm desperate.

just cook already said...

i need the recipe for your pita bread!

qadesign.jenna@gmail.com
posting this on justcookalready later